Wednesday, March 30, 2011

t-21 days

http://2wheels2lanes1camera.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/how-to-pack-your-motorcycle-for-the-trip/

Found this blog site with information on packing up the bike. Seems to be very useful.

Well, still need to test load the bike with my gear and it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate this week. Too cold - guess I am being a little wimpy. I am looking at sites for luggage rack enhancements to load some of the gear onto. I am not feeling real good about how I am going to get the back pack secured to the other back rest bag and to the bike itself. And then the issue of how to keep it all dry in a rain storm or in wet weather comes to mind. Both bags have rain covers but no way to cover two at once. With them tied onto the bike I can't get and the attached tie down points if they are covered to attach the bags to one another. I think that I will need to place the gear in the back pack in a water proof bag and put that into the back pack. Going to take some thought on that one. I sure don't want my sleeping bag and clothing to get wet.

Zip lock bags for clothing comes to mind and maybe very large trash bags will work too. More to come on thatt issue.

I am now trying to post something on a regular basis so that I will be sure to post photos and comments as we ride.

Talked with Ryder2 yesterday about our timing on meeting and about the California portion of the trip. I starting to get excited about leaving. This should be a great adventure for us.

1 comment:

  1. A moving target through the rain is less likely to get as wet as a sitting target. The exterior items of the pack will shield the interior items. The tarp you use under your tent at camp comes in handy and can be wrapped under the bungee cords or cargo net for additional protection.

    Securing the load: Canvas straps with adjustable slides and quick-release clips are available at camping stores, hardware stores. No stretch as with bungee cords and can secure your load tightly. In addition to strapping to your sissy bar/backrest, don't forget about the rear foot pegs. They're good for attach points, too.

    ReplyDelete