Friday, April 1, 2011

t-18 days

Moved departure date up one day to Wednesday, April 20, 2011. Since Ryder2 and I want to try and make it to New Orleans by Friday evening, I felt that it would be safer not to attempt to make it a 16 hours ride on Friday. So, I will leave NoVa in the AM and ride as far as I safely can (weather and traffic notwithstanding) and stay over in either SC or GA and then ride on down to Jacksonville on Thursday and then stay in Live Oak Thursday night and meet Ryder2 there on Friday and ride the 480 miles to New Orleans once he arrives. I should be well rested and with any luck we can make the first leg together a lot safer.

The plan is for now is to ride from New Orleans to San Antonio in a day and from San Antonio to El Paso in a day. The next leg from El Paso may end up at either Tucson, Phoenix or a little further west on I-10 in Arizona. From Arizona we will head over to Palm Springs for a stop and visit with my sister who will be vacationing with her family there at the same time we are traveling through. We haven't seen Gayle in a few years now and we are looking forward to the visit. Not sure if we are staying over there for a night or not, Depends on how much time we took to get this far. Ultimately, we plan on ending the Ocean to Ocean part of the trip in Oceanside, CA. This is the one place in California that I must see. (My place of birth and have never been there since I was 3 months old.)

Our next leg of the adventure is the ride up the Pacific Coast Highway to at least the San Francisco area. And we will spend some time in the Sonoma/Napa Valley, Giant Red Woods, etc. in California. The only plans for the return trip so far is to stop over in Santa Fe, NM from there who knows. At some point Ryder2 and I will take seperate roads back to our respective homes NoVA and Central FL but haven't gotten that far yet and we want to be flexible on the ride back. So we shall see where we end up.

Keep checking back after the 20th to see the pictures and comments about our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment